Garden in an Egg Carton
Children will plant seedlings and watch them grow.
What You Need
- egg cartons
- planting soil
- plastic spoons
- bean seeds
- poster board
What to Do
- Remind children that Johnny Appleseed planted orchards of trees from a sack of seeds. Invite children to create their own garden of bean plants in an egg carton.
- Remove the tops from an appropriate number of egg cartons. Have children scoop out enough soil to fill each pocket in the egg cartons.
- Have each child take a seed and plant it in the soil. Keep track of where each seed is planted. Place the egg cartons in a location where there is plenty of light, and have children water the seeds regularly.
- Make a chart to track the growth of each plant. Children can write notes and take measurements as their seedlings grow.
- As a bonus, invite interested children to write a story or put on a play about a seed-planting character like Johnny Appleseed.