Arts and Crafts
Each child will choose a special personal event to share with their classmates in making a classroom quilt.
What You Need
- 5-inch squares of white paper
- 6-inch squares of colored paper
- roll of white paper
What to Do
- Brainstorm with children a list of special events. You might want to start children off with some of these ideas:
- a birthday party
- a holiday
- a sports competition
- a recital
- a visit to a special place or person
- Have each child draw and/or write about a special event on one of the white squares.
- Then have each child center and paste the completed square on a colored square.
- When everyone has completed a square, have the children tape the squares into rows to form a quilt pattern.
- To finish the squares, have a few children cut out and tape a white border around the quilt. Children can decorate the border any way they wish.
- Display the quilt and have each child talk about his or her own special event.