For more than fifty years, Houghton Mifflin has been helping children across the nation become
successful readers. Our scientifically research-based reading program is built around rich, authentic
literature and powerful, step-by-step instruction that lets students experience success starting
on day one. With built-in resources for meeting individual needsincluding hundreds of
leveled books, resources for English language learners, and powerful intervention programsHoughton Mifflin
Reading ensures that no child is left behind.
Across the nation, teachers are choosing Houghton Mifflin Reading: The Nation's Choice. Why? Because it's the program
that delivers what today's educators are looking for:
- Evidence of effectiveness, based on scientific research
- Powerful, comprehensive instruction in the five strands of reading
- Assessment that diagnoses needs, informs instruction, and documents results
- Resources that meet the needs of all students
- Management tools that make teaching and planning easy.
With evidence of effectiveness, based on scientific research, Houghton Mifflin Reading is proven to work,
based on research that meets the criteria of the No Child Left Behind and Reading First legislation. The research
For more details, contact your Houghton Mifflin representative or call 800-733-2828.
- was conducted by an independent third party
- was longitudinalconducted for a period of more than three years across the grades
- included a control group and an experimental group.
Powerful, comprehensive instruction in the five strands of reading:
phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension are presented in an explicit, systematic approach.
Assessment that diagnoses needs, informs instruction, and documents results
- Diagnostic resources inform instruction and aid in planning.
- Customizable electronic resources make it easy to track student progress and manage data.
Resources that meet the needs of all students
- Daily preteaching and reteaching lessons are provided for extra support, for challenge, and for English language learners.
- Powerful intervention programs help put struggling students back on track.
- Lectura provides comprehensive, parallel Spanish reading instruction for bilingual classrooms.
Management tools that make teaching and planning easy
- The Teacher's Editions are consistently organized and easy to use.
- The Lesson Planner CD-ROM lets teachers quickly create and customize lesson plans.
- Learner Profile software provides support for documenting and tracking student progress.