This activity will help students become familiar with maps as representations of real scenes and with map keys. Each student will create a map and a map key, understand that a map shows the view from above, and use a map key to interpret symbols and to locate places and objects on a map.
You can use an Assessment Rubric to assess students' mastery of the objectives.
What You Need
- chart paper
- crayons or markers
What to Do
- List the things you want in a playground.
- Make a symbol for each thing.
- Draw a map of the playground.
- Place the symbols on the map and in the map key.
- Give your map a title.
See If Your Map Works!
- Ask a friend to read your map and to describe the playground.
- Tell a story about how you would use the playground.